Monday, January 28, 2013

I want to...but I can't


So I took a break from painting for a bit after the Trollblood Scrum Painting Challenge II.  Not a complete break mind you but I was not pressed to sit at the table for a while.  What painting I did get done was just a model here or a model there.  It was a nice break from the day to day push on models.  That being said I have plans to go to the Colonial GT on March 1st.  I was going to put together a DA/IG army for it but after looking at what I have versus what I need I came to the conclusion I don't have the necessary funds for updating my DA, nor the time to get them painted up and ready.  Which leads me to the reason for this post.

For the longest time I have been staving off accepting this notion, but I can no longer participate in Games Workshop purchases.  Now this isn't some statement of protest where I refuse to pay cause it's not right (I have had that feeling for a while).  This is a statement of fact.  GW models have become way to expensive for me to justify buying, even from discount retailers.


Now some might argue that you can just play with what you have, to which I will say, no..not really.  GW does a fantastic job of "meh"ing up there pre-existing line and making the newer things really worth while (aka. Codex creep).  This is less apparent in the newer codex's for 6th but it's still there.  What I have model wise is less then stellar then what is needed to play competitively.  This dread of not being able to buy to stay "competitive" in nature is only made worse by my "OH SHINY" desire to buy as well.  GW makes some of the most beautiful models out there.  Case in point look at these new Chaos Warrior models that are in advance order that are just screaming to be 40K-ified.



As a long standing Chaos player I want these models in my range.  The latter image would be a great chance to make a "more daemon" Maulerfiend, but at $85 a pop I just can't justify it.  Here are just a couple more examples of things that are just price crazy.  My first exposure to "I think this game is getting to expensive for me" was the $50 codex.  So as a test to see if I was not crazy I took my current DA army idea and priced it out from scratch.  2K with codex and models off GW site is $800.  Take off 25% if you go through some discount site and your still looking at a $600.  Dear god, that 3 car payments.  I just can't justify GW's prices anymore.  The sad thing is it's not even a case of "I can't justify "this hobby" prices anymore".  I feel it's specifically GW, there are other games out there that have a much cheaper buy in and don't have nearly the years before the models bought are out-dated that GW models do.

Like so many others I love the background, I love the models and I have a but of a guilty pleasure in loving the game even with it's many flaws.  I remember a time when I spoke to one of the GW staffers I still speak to from my days of old working for the company.  An when we got on the subject of GW prices it was told to me that GW management has point out to its employees that this is a hobby.  This hobby is not a need item people have to own, so people need to make their own decisions on when they can't afford it anymore.  At the time I was still willing to accept their costs (with much complaining).  Sadly it appears I have hit my mark and will no longer be able to participate on the cutting edge with GW's game.  Time to shuffle 40k to the casual gaming arena.

Currently on Table:
Need to finish up some Trollbloods before Colonial GT
Need to finish up some Plague marines before Colonial GT
Finish off my brothers Menoth box set
Odds and ends on a Circle commision
Soon to be some Eldar jetbikes from a commision

No comments: