Monday, June 3, 2013

Tale of Ever-Teal : Part 1



This past weekend was very good to me.  I was able to acquire a large amount of Hordes: Legion of Everblight, and it has ignited the blight in me and is slowly taking over in my heart.  I love to go to local stores swap meets in the hope of finding the ever elusive "Diamond in the Rough".  Most of the time I get something, it's just a matter of is it something I "need" or is it something that my eyes fell on and I said "Sure I would paint that".  This Everblight army fell into both categories.


See long before I ever ventured into Trolls I was looking at the various Warmachine and Hordes factions and my first eye catching interest was in fact Everblight.  More specifically the Throne of Everblight their battle engine.  With it's drooling maw and sharp teeth, mutated skin wrapped in armor, writhing tentacles and sheer size my little chaos heart leaped with joy.  It has mutation, and tentacles, and mutations, and a being to worship like a god, and mutations, and dragons....and mutations.  It was only more interesting that they were "evil", which I like more cause I never have been very good at being "Good".  Hell my own troll army has a Japanese Magi Daemon for a Dire Troll Mauler.  Evil is my thing...did I mention mutations?



So I got the army home.  Started sorting out what needed to be stripped, what model lines needed to be cleaned up, what needed to be remounted and what need to have bits replaced.  I have found a nice cool Teal pallete I want to use to paint them, and have mapped out what will be what color (Beasts: Teal skin, Black Carapace & Infantry Pale skin with Black guard and metallic armors with teal accessories).  I nick named the army Ever-Teal.   After all was said and done my Saturday was gone and Sunday was upon me.  Sunday didn't see much Everblight action (beyond me signing up for the Slow Grow, with them as my chosen army), but it sure had me thinking about the army a lot.  What research I would need to do.  Guides and help aids from veteran players I would need to find and absorb, and then I got to thinking.  Why couldn't I be one of those veteran players?  If you ever listen to podcasts you will hear the name JVM (Jake Van Meter) being thrown around as the Herald of Everblight.  He's a great player and really knows his stuff, but at the end of the day he is just a dude who puts his pants on one leg at a time.  Even more so at one point and time he too was "the new guy" making dumb mistakes and learning his faction.  If he could do it then so could anyone, all that separates him from others is time and devotion spent on the game.  So I am going to make it my goal.


I like the Warmachine/Hordes game.  I have seen plenty of games and this game feels like the most well developed (not perfect, but it's been through the ringers for a while now and still a stand up "balanced" rules set) game.  Everblight is new to me but I can see gleams of how it works, and see potentials to it.  So I took the leap into the deep end both feet first, no safety net.  As of June 2nd I have made a personnal goal to learn and master Everblight (and this game) in such a way that I can qualify for Masters at Warmachine Weekend 2014.  That gives me a year and a half to figure this all out and become REALLY good at it.  My friends are supporting me in the goal and I hope that my team will be able to help me step away from the mantle of "just a hobbyist" and become a really good player like many of them.  Wish me luck, and let the "Tale of Ever-Teal" begin.

No comments: