Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back from NOVA Open 2012


Back from NOVA Open 2012 and getting ready for getting back into the work grind of day to day life.  Man what an event, an I can honestly say if you didn't go this year, you seriously missed out!  Everything was great.  Great setup, Great deals and support to the players, Amazing staff.  It was an experience to behold indeed.  If i was to list all of the good things from this event I would have to create a new blog page to hold them all.  Here are however some of the major highlights of the event to me.

  • Even with a short amount of staff the NOVA Open team were always there.  I had judges constantly moving around.  Always there to answer for judge calls.  I think over the entire weekend I only heard 1 person to have to call for a judge twice before the judge was there (though there were about 5 other people adding in extra judge calls to carry on a gag).  The packets were laid out well, the FAQs were there and easy to read and tables were all laid out as the packet said they were each game (as if judges were going around the tables between heats making sure everything was in place where it was suppose to be)
  • Projector of brackets in last name alphabetical order.  I can not tell you how great this was.  Every time brackets were up it was as easy as passing a wall looking up and seeing my name in the same column and space every time and going to my table.  If there was anything about the event that I liked the most this was it.  No cramming around 30 people near a column trying find my name on a sheet so I can go to my table.  I literally had to walk past a projector and two seconds later head to my table.
  • Space.  There was a ton of space.  Not just between the different types of games but also plenty of butt room (didn't bum joust anyone all weekend long) and also between the table.  Each table had a nice 6" column of space for reserves and dead piles.
  • Prize support was great.  Attendees were great.  Everything was just a great experience.
To the staff of NOVA Open and those supported them you put on a great show and I cannot thank you and the team for all the work you put into a great event.

Up next most likely will be Mechanicon at the end of October.  That and biting at the bit for a Chaos Space Marines codex.

No comments: